What pain and symptoms are associated with the deltoids muscle?
- Pain over the tip of the shoulder going down the upper arm
- Shoulder weakness
- Pain in the shoulder area when lifting
- Pain in the shoulder area when holding objects up and in front of the body
- Pain decreases when arm and shoulder are at rest
Where are the deltoid muscle?
The deltoids muscles are the muscles that cover the tip shoulder. The deltoid muscle is made up of three parts, anterior, middle and posterior. The deltoids connect the shoulder, shoulder blade and collarbone to the upper arm.
What movements do the deltoids muscles control?
- Raises the arm to the front of the body (anterior deltoid)
- Moves arm across the front of the body (anterior deltoid)
- Brings arm down to the body from overhead position (posterior deltoid)
- Pulls arm behind the body (posterior deltoid)
- Moves arm away from the body (posterior deltoid)
Activities that cause deltoid pain and symptoms:
- Weight lifting
- Throwing a ball; baseball, softball, football
- Holding heavy tools up
- Picking up and carrying children
- Typing when the keyboard is set up too high
- Injections given in the arm
Interesting facts about the deltoid muscle:
- Pain around the shoulder area caused by the deltoids muscles will subside when resting. If pain in the deltoids area is continuous even at rest, chances are the source of the pain is being caused by other muscles in the neck, shoulder and upper body.
- If you have been diagnosed with bursitis of the shoulder and treatment is not reducing pain it could be trigger points in the deltoid muscle.
Clinical diagnoses to which this muscle symptoms may contribute:
- Rotator cuff injury
- Bicipital tendinitis
- Subdeltoid bursitis
- Glenohumeral joint arthritis
- Glenohumeral separation
- Impingement syndrome
- Shoulder pointer
Other muscles that should be considered and examined in conjunction with the deltoids muscles:
Satellite Trigger Points: Pectoralis Major, Biceps Brachii, Triceps (long head), Latissimus Dorsi, Teres Major, Infraspinatus, Supraspinatus
Affected Organ Systems:
- Anterior Deltoid: Respiratory System
- Posterior Deltoid: Digestive System
For detailed anatomy information see: Deltoids Anatomy
Help with Deltoid Muscle Pain
Sombra Warm Therapy Pain Relieving Gel is a warming gel that I use everyday not only on myself but also on clients. It provides warmth without burning and is better at relieving pain than other over the counter pain creams.For arthritic or chronic shoulder pain relieve Sombra can be applied several times a day to provide warmth and pain relief.
Cold Gel Therapy for Shoulder and Upper Arm Injury and Pain
Biofreeze Pain Relieving Gel is an excellent pain relieving gel that I use on clients who have sudden onset muscle pain or recent injuries. Biofreeze works like ice and does not promote swelling. A recent study showed that Biofreeze decreased pain 2 times more than ice and the pain relief lasts 9 – 10 longer. It is great as a maintenance treatment for over use and repetitive use injuries. Cold therapy should be used instead of heat on new injuries to help reduce inflammation. Biofreeze also works great to reduce and eliminate pain from arm muscle injections.
Ice Wrap For Shoulder Injury, Deltoid Muscles
Pro-Ice Shoulder and Elbow Cold Therapy Wrap is great for shoulder injuries involving the deltoids. The wrap not only provides cold therapy for the shoulder but it also extends down the arm providing relieve for upper arm and elbow pain. This should be in the freezer of every ball player for quick treatment of over use injuries and preventative maintenance.
Cold and Warm Shoulder Wrap For Deltoid Muscle Pain
Elasto-Gel Hot Cold Shoulder Wrap works well for those who need a wrap that provides both heat and cold therapy. This is a great wrap for people suffering with shoulder arthritis pain. Treats shoulder, deltoids, upper arm, and pectoralis muscles. The wrap is gel which allows it to mold to the chest, shoulder and upper arm comfortably.
Self Treatment For Shoulder Pain Caused By The Deltoid Muscle
Do you know that small knots in the deltoid muscle can cause pain and weakness throughout the shoulder area?
If you are suffering with unresolved shoulder pain and weakness consider Claire Davies The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment Guide for Pain Relief. Mr. Davies explain the trigger point phenomenon and muscle pain in everyday language. But what makes this book worth its weight in gold are the individual muscle trigger point treatments that Davies has compiled. His diagrams and step by step instructions help you locate which muscles are contributing to your pain, how to find the trigger point and treat it. He also provides stretching and strengthening exercises for each muscle. It takes time and practice to master finding trigger points, but once you learn you have a tool and method to help relieve muscle pain throughout the body. If you suffer with shoulder pain and weakness I highly recommend this book. Relieving trigger points in the deltoid muscles have helped many people resolve shoulder issues. This book is a must have for anyone interested in finding the cause and treating muscle pain.