About The Wellness Digest
My name is Donna Martin, massage therapist and owner of The Wellness Digest.
Life Past and Present
I have spent most of my life working and with horses: show horses, pleasure horses, and race horses. I have also:
- Writer and contributor to sports and health sites
- Developed and ran a successful Internet home décor store
- Designed commercial, business and personal websites
- Managed a specialized software program used at horse racetracks
- Been a bookkeeper
- Been a bartender
In 2000 I became the main caregiver for my Grandad. During that time, my focus shifted to health and quality of life issues. I am a now massage therapist, writer, owner and writer for this site.
A few things I have through the healthcare school of hard knocks:
- To question everything, diagnoses, treatments, and prognosis.
- Sometimes the tried and true treatments don’t work.
- Sometimes doctors make mistakes.
- Over-medication is more common than we think.
- Compelling anecdotal evidence can be a good enough reason to try an unconventional treatment when conventional treatment is not working.
- There are a lot of shysters out there pushing cures for everything from hang nails to cancer.
- Alternative methods can be healing, but can also do harm and even be deadly.
- Just because you see and hear the same things repeated over and over does not mean that it is true.
- Published studies, clinical research and clinical trial results can be skewed most often by the media, and sometimes by the people conducting the study, research or trial.
The Three Important Lessons I Have Learned When It Comes To Health
- Everything in the body is connected. Dysfunction and pain in one area of the body will affect other areas of the body. This applies to muscles and soft tissues as well as your vital organs. A pulled muscle in the back of the thigh will often cause knee, hip and lower back soreness and stiffness. Dysfunction in an organ affects the whole body often causing fatigue, pain and a general feeling of blahness.
- Every body is different. Each body handles stress and illness and life in its own unique way. Each body reacts to treatments, medication, vitamin regimes, etc. differently. What works for a friend or a stranger on the Internet may not work for you. This is true for standardized medical care and alternative care.
- For a total health, the whole body must be considered and treated. Finding the primary problem and treating it is of course priority. But treating secondary symptoms must also happen to restore health.
I am neither a doctor basher nor a medications are evil person.
Doctors are good, medical advancements are amazing, and medications save lives. However, doctors, medical treatments and medications are not the begin all and end all when it concerns your health.
I am not a holistic and alternative guru.
There are many alternative treatments that have been proven or show evidence of being beneficial for health. Some are preventive / maintenance measures and others are treatment options that have helped people. There are alternative methods that some individuals believe helped, while others find it did not help. And unfortunately there are many unscrupulous scammers out there pushing “magick potions and devices” that are dangerous and bring the credibility of the entire alternative / complementary medicine industries into question.
TWD: Main Focus Is Muscle, Joint and Soft Tissue Injury and Disfunction
I am always researching and reading not only on the Internet but also books and publications. The Wellness Digest will provide an avenue bring together this information, the medical, the alternative as well as holistic so you can see there are options available. Because my area of study is muscle and soft tissue function, these will be The Wellness Digest's major focus. However, I will also bring you other health news that is important and interesting. Remember all what affects one area of the body effects the body as a whole!
Many things I bring to you will be controversial, and will be decried by either the medical or alternative health communities since these two groups cannot seem to come together. In fairness I will do my best to present all sides. My goal is not to tell you what to do, but to help you realize that there are nearly always options.
But it is not going to be all dry mundane medical information. There will be exercise tips, keep your sanity tips, personal stories and just for fun stuff too.
For The Social Butterflies and Blue Birds
Texas Massage License #MT104883