Abductor Digiti Minimi Muscle Pain: Signs and Symptoms
- Pain is located on the outside of the back of the hand just below the little finger
- Pain extends up into the lower half of the little finger
Where is the abductor digiti minimi of the hand located?
- It connects to a bone in the wrist (pisiform bone) running along the outside of the hand to connect with the base part of the little finger (proximal phalanx).
What movements do the abductor digiti minimi muscle of the hand control?
- It moves the little finger out and away from the other three fingers
Activities that cause abductor digiti minimi hand muscle pain and symptoms:
- Activities that require repetitively moving the little finger away from the fingers ie. typing and reaching for the outside keys such as shift and enter.
- Playing musical instruments such as violin, cello, guitar and piano which require holding the little finger away from the other fingers
You use the abductor digiti minimi when you move the little finger away from the other fingers.
Interesting facts about the abductor digiti minimi muscles of the hand:
- It is one of the three muscles that make up the hypothenar eminence, the pad located on the outside of the hand opposite of the thumb pad
- Is sometimes used as a donor muscle to restore function in a thumb that has been injured and has lost the ability to move
Abductor Digiti Minimi Muscle Dysfuntion Pain and Symptoms Can Be Similar To and Contribute To These Medical Diagnosis:
- Cubital tunnel syndrome
Other muscles that should be considered and examined in conjunction with the abductor digiti minimi muscles:
Recommendations for Abductor Digiti Minimi Hand Muscle Pain
Cold Therapy For Swelling and Painful Hands
Biofreeze Pain Relieving Gel is a cold therapy gel that provides pain relief for new injuries and is great as a maintenance treatment for overuse injuries. Cold therapy should be used on new and recent injuries instead of heat as it cools the area much like ice and does not promote swelling. A recent study showed that Biofreeze decreased pain 2 times more than ice and the pain relief lasts 9 – 10 times longer. If you have recently injured the hand’s abductor digiti minimi muscle or have unexplained pain that has started on the outside of the hand extending into the little finger, use Biofreeze. Rub the gel into the outside and back of the hand into the little finger for pain relief.
Sombra Warm Therapy Gel is a pain relieving gel that I use both personally and professionally in my massage therapy practice. It provides warmth without burning heat like other over the counter heating creams and gels. It works well for post-injury pain and stiffness. It is great for chronic arthritis pain as it can be applied several times a day. Apply Sombra to the outside and back of the hand as well as the little finger to ease pain.
Compression Gloves For Support, Warmth and Pain Relief
Whether the pain in your hands is caused by a muscle injury or arthritis, compression has been shown to help with pain relief. The Imak Compression Arthritis Gloves are some of the best on the market.
The gloves provide gentle compression which helps decrease both pain relief and inflammation. The seams of the gloves are sewn to the outside so you will not have irritation or discomfort. The fingers opening are reinforced so that they will not fray with wear or during washing. I like this particular brand because the gloves are easier to get on and off than most other compression gloves. Reasonably priced too!
To determine your size measure straight across the widest part of your palm. Extra small: up to 2 3/4 inches wide. Small: up to 3 1/8 inches across. Medium: up to 3 1/2 inches across. Large: up to 4 inches across. Extra large: up to 4 1/2 inches across.
Twelve years of experience working with clients with chronic pain, post injury pain, and post surgery pain. Muscle dysfunction is often overlooked but can hold the key to many pain conditions.